Youtube Facebook Twitter linked in
Membership & Registration at a Glance
IAgrE is the professional body for engineers, scientists, technologists and managers in agricultural and allied landbased industries. Click the icons to find out more.


IAgrE Membership and Professional Qualification FAQs


 How do I apply for membership?
You can join IAgrE immediately as an Affiliate simply by filling in the on-line registration form. This is the grade of membership open to all who have an interest in land based technology.  If you provide adequate details of your qualifications at this stage, the Membership Department will be able to advise you on a more appropriate grade of membership if applicable.  
Contact the Membership Department on tel (+44) (0)1234 750876 or fax (+44) (0)1234 751319, [email protected] for any more information
How long will my application take to be processed? 
Entry into the Affiliate grade is immediate on payment of the appropriate fee. For other applications, the more information you provide with your application the quicker we can process it. If we have to arrange a Professional Review Interview for you, please allow approximately three months for the process to be completed.
Will I need to attend a Professional Review Interview (PRI)?
You will only need to attend a PRI if you are applying for and found to be academically qualified for IEng or CEng registration. 
We try to arrange your interview as locally as possible and we will discuss the best location for you to attend.  If you have a special request, such as being interviewed where you work instead of where you live simply let the IAgrE Membership Department know. 
What is the difference between "Registration" and "Professional Qualification"?
There is no difference. "Registration" refers to the "professional qualification registers", i.e.
  • Engineering Technician (EngTech)
  • Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
  • Chartered Engineer (CEng)
  • Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv)
What is involved in my Professional Review? 
The Membership Department can provide guidance notes for the PRI process. 
How much will it cost me to apply?
Why register with the Engineering Council (EngC) and/or the Society for the Environment (SocEnv)?
Registration with the EngC and/or SocEnv should be seen as additional professional qualifications which will provide you with national and international recognition of your engineering and/or environmental competence through the use of one (or more) of the designations EngTech or IEng or CEng or CEnv. 
This demonstrates that you have met the national benchmark standard of qualification and competence to practice as either an Engineering Technician, Incorporated Engineer, Chartered Engineer or Chartered Environmentalist. 
In the case of engineering professional qualifcations, you will also be recognised under European Directives as having an equivalent level of qualification and experience as your European peers. In many European countries you cannot practise as an engineer unless you are officially recognised. This may mean the completion of examinations, assessments and even practical, supervised experience. Engineering Council registration will provide you with exemption from most of these requirements. 
The Engineering Council also works to promote awareness of the roles and responsibilities of all types of engineers. Registrants receive periodic updates on issues such as new legislation and other matters (which may impact on, or even restrict, their work as engineers.
Similarly, the Society for the Environment works to promote awareness of sustainable development and seeks to Influence government, policymakers and opinion-formers on all aspects of the environment and sustainability. 
Can I register with the Engineering Council (EngC) and the Society for the Environment (SocEnv)?
Yes. You can be a Chartered Environmentalist as well as hold one of the professional  qualifications from the EngC. For instance John Smith IEng CEnv MIAgrE 
What is UK-SPEC?
The UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) describes the value of becoming registered as an Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng). It describes the requirements that have to be met in order to gain these qualifications, and gives examples of ways of doing this.
UK-SPEC should enable individuals and employers to find out whether they or their staff can meet the requirements, and explains the steps necessary to achieve professional registration with the Engineering Council.  Our registrants carry many responsibilities, including the need to observe a professional code of conduct. These are described within UK-SPEC together with advice on how to maintain registration.
UK-SPEC is published by the Engineering Council on behalf of the UK engineering profession.  The standard has been developed, and is regularly updated, by panels representing professional engineering institutions (PEIs), employers and engineering educators.
Can I join as an Affiliate while my main application goes through?
If you wish to become an Affiliate while your application for another grade of membership is in progress please indicate this on your application form. We will issue your membership card straight away and you can start to enjoy the benefits of membership immediately. We will then continue to process your application for the grade of membership you ultimately desire. 
Alternatively, apply for the Affiliate grade and await advice from the Membership Department about other grades of membership that may be appropriate to your circumstances.
How can I pay my subscription? 
You may make a secure payment via our website.  We prefer payment for your subscription by Direct Debit
Your initial payment for your subscription may be paid
  • by credit card.  Please phone us on  (+44) (0)1234 750876 option 3 or make a secure payment, indicating payment details etc.

Subsequent subscriptions may be paid by Direct Debit - a form will be sent to you on admission.

Join Now
IAgrE offers membership grades for every stage of your
career - your passport to professionalism...
Contact Us
To contact the Membership department, click here.
If you have a query about events, click here...